Sunday, July 24, 2011

More Coney Island Roads

More Coney roads...

NOTICE is hereby given that on the eight day of June, A.D., 1850, at the office of John Vanderbilt, No. 3 Front street, Brooklyn, books will be opened for the purchase of subscribing to the stock of a Plank Road Company--to construct a Plank Road from or in the city of Brooklyn through the towns of Flatbush, New Utrecht and Gravesend to the Atlantic Ocean, at Coney Island.

Dated May 24, 1850

--Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Saturday, May 25, 1850 (and many other days)

If Forgotten New York is right, a Plank Road (perhaps this very road?) became Coney Island Avenue, and was serviced by a horse-powered street railway.

No comments:

Post a Comment