CHAS M. ROGERS,
RECENTLY OF STANWIX HALL, ALBANY AND FORMERLY OF THE TROY HOUSE,
ANNOUNCES to his friends and the fashionable and travelling public, that he has leased the OCEANIC HOUSE, Coney Island, and designs opening it for the reception of boarders and visiters early in June. This House is new, and finely located, being but two miles from the Point, and facing the Ocean. It commands an extended view of the Sea, the Bay and the Narrows, and of the vessels coming into and leaving port. The House is large and well arranged, being capable of accomodating several hundred boarders, and is withal one of the pleasantest summer retreats within fifty miles of the great metropolis, whilst the distance (only eight mils from New York and Brooklyn) is but an hour's journey by land or water. The Tables will be in accordance with the best style, and provided with the choicest selections from the New York markets. The advantages for Sea Bathing are unsurpassed. Every attention will be directed to the wants and comforts of the guests of the House.
Notice - Persons desirous of taking rooms at the above Establishment will please write to the subscriber, at Coney Island.
American & Commercial Daily Advertiser - June 26, 1849
The announcement conflicts with the 1884 A history of the town of Gravesend, N.Y. by A. P. (Austin Parsons).
In October, 1847, Dr. Allen Clarke, seeing the desirability of Coney Island as a summer resort, bought a piece of ground of Mr. Court Van Sicklen (by giving a mortgage on it), and, just north of the Coney Island House, the "Oceanic" was erected, run for a season, and burned down. It was said it caught fire accidentally, and some people believed it. The property passed into the hands of Judge John Vanderbilt, who built another—a larger and a better hotel—on the site of the former, and it became a very fashionable resort; but, after a few years of varying success, it shared the common fate of sea-side resorts—it burned down. The premises are now incorporated with those of the old Coney Island House.
--A history of the town of Gravesend, N.Y. by A. P. (Austin Parsons).
Also, the aforementioned mortgage sale articles are continuing in the Brooklyn Eagle well after June 1849...