Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Coney Island Mention

The story's not too much about Coney, but it's interesting that people going to Europe from New York would notice Coney Island. It reminds me a little bit of my one and (to date) only trip to New York City in 2007....I spotted the Luna Park housing and I think the Parachute Jump from the plane, and I was so excited! (It was a whirlwind trip, 3 or 4 nights, and we spent a good portion of one day on Coney.)

GLANCES AT EUROPE…….No. I.
----
Crossing the Atlantic.
----
Editorial Correspondence of the Tribune.
LIVERPOOL, (Eng) Monday, April 28, 1851

The leaden skies, the chilly rain, the general out-door aspect and prospect of discomfort prevailing in New-York when our good steamship BALTIC cast loose from her dock at noon on the 16th inst, were not particularly calculated to inspire and exhilarate the goodly number who were then bidding adieu for months at least to home, country and friends…Before we had passed Coney Island, it was abundantly certain that our freshening breeze bailed directly from Labrador and the icebergs beyond, and had no idea of changing its quarters. By the time we were fairly outside of Sandy Hook we were struggling with as uncomfortable and damaging a cross sea as had ever enlarged my slender nautical experience…

--New-York Daily Tribune, May 12, 1851

No comments:

Post a Comment